Are you currently remodeling a room in your home and are looking to install a tile floor? You may have seen the process on home improvement shows on television or online, but they make everything look so simple. While there are plenty of people who are able to be successful at laying floor tiles in their kitchens, bathrooms, or living spaces, it is important to have the right materials. Don’t rush, or you might end up with a lot of wasted time and tile! Here are the tools and tips you need to be successful with your next floor tile project.
Gather These Tools
- Utility knife
- Tape Measure
- Tile cutter
- Float for grouting
Steps for Successful Tile Installation
Hopefully, you have already planned your layout based on the space you have available and are ready to get started. Be sure your space is completely clean, and that your subfloor is flat to give you the best base for your tile.
- Create reference lines in your room and dry lay (putting down tiles without adhesive) to ensure your pattern fits.
- Mix your Laticrete #253 Gold Thinset (tile mortar) to the correct consistency, spreading in a 3′ x 3′ area.
- Use a trowel to comb straight lines in the mortar. Be sure to back butter the tile with the flat side of the trowel.
- Setting tiles should be done slowly and carefully with spacers between each tile, leveling as you go. Move the tile back and forth to knock down the notch and get rid of air pockets.
- Clean excess mortar with a damp sponge. Keep your joints clean so that no thinset shows through your grout line. Allow the mortar to dry a minimum of 24 hours before beginning to apply grout.
Laying floor tile without help from professionals isn’t for everyone. If you’re ready for some assistance in your new tile journey, contact the professionals at Standard Tile by scheduling an appointment through our easy online system. As New Jersey’s premier tile store, Standard Tile has award-winning stylists and designers and offers the best service in the business. Go online for more inspiration or to browse our wide range of tile products.