The choice of flooring is one that will greatly impact your home’s atmosphere. It will either enhance or take away from the comfort, aesthetics and overall style of your home. In addition, it’s a significant investment that you want to ensure is well spent. Therefore, the choice between types of flooring is not one to take too lightly.
In general, when it comes to flooring options for your home, you have three primary choices: carpet, wood or tile flooring. You not only have to consider what type of flooring will best fit your budget, but you also need to determine which type is most durable. Although most people tile their bathroom, some don’t consider the versatile tile as an option for living rooms or kitchens. Here are some of the reasons tile is an advantageous flooring choice for any home, to any room.
Why is Tile Best For Your Home?
Why is Tile Better Than Carpet?
Admittedly, carpet can be comfortable, warm and texturally appealing. However, these characteristics come with some drawbacks as it relates to longevity and cleanliness. Below is a more in depth look at the >benefits of tile over carpet:
Maintenance: To keep tile clean, you only have to sweep and use a vacuum cleaner. For spills and stains, you can deep clean with a wet or steam mop. Carpet can be difficult to keep clean, especially light-colored carpet and carpet will wear out much quicker than tile.
Temperature: One of the advantages of carpet already mentioned is the warmth. It’s worth noting, though, that tile can be heated if desired, which provides a measure of warmth. You can also add rugs to add texture and additional warmth.
- Lifespan: Carpet typically lasts from one to 25 years, depending on the quality of carpet. By contrast, the lifespan on tile begins at 75 years and goes to over 100 years.
- Water Durability: Carpet can be damaged by water, while tile is waterproof, allowing for easy clean up of spills.
- Allergy Benefits: Tile is great for allergy sufferers as pet hair, dander and dust cannot be trapped on tile. Carpet can be an allergy suffers worst nightmare. According to the National Center for Healthy Housing, allergy suffers, especially those who are sensitive to dust mites and pet dander, should avoid installing wall-to-wall carpet as it can aggravate their condition.
- Overall Durability: Life in a house with pets and children can become difficult, hectic and messy. Tile is a much more durable option, especially when compared to carpet, and will withstand all that children and pets can throw at it. It can also be used in any room in the house, creating a consistent look!
Why is Tile Better Than Wood Floors?
Another common debate among hard flooring options is whether to choose real wood floors or tile. The look of tile shouldn’t be a factor as there are now wood tile flooring options that look like real wood.
Therefore, to further illustrate why tile is a better option than actual wood flooring, read below:
- Durability/Lifespan: Both wood and wood-look tile are durable options. Hardwood flooring can last for years and be refinished and sanded to further the lifespan. Tile could last for more than seventy-five years when maintained properly. When cleaning wood floors, you have to be more mindful of cleaners as some can stip the finish or worse, even ruin the wood.
- Maintenance: There isn’t much you can do to ruin tile, it can take a lot of abuse. Real wood can be a bit more finicky. If moisture might be an issue, such as in a kitchen or bathroom, hardwood can easily become damaged.
- Temperature Suitability: Most weather conditions do not affect tile whatsoever. However, heat can impact wood flooring by either shrinking or expanding it.
- Noise Factor: Choosing any floor option besides carpeting can cause issues with sound. This can be especially problematic if you have children and pets. Wood floors tend to be louder in general. Because tile is more condensed, noise doesn’t echo as much, so they are a bit quieter.
Tile Wipes The Floor With Options
Tile flooring is a great option for all homeowners, no matter where you’re looking to implement this gorgeous flooring. To sum up, here’s why:
- Easy to maintain.
- Great return on investment due to longevity.
- Available in an abundance of style options, ensuring every look can be attained.
Your Next Step
Now that you have determined tile is you best flooring choice, contact us at Standard Tile to learn more about our tile options. We would love to help you select the perfect tile for your home. Contact us today to explore tile flooring ideas.